Application Information for Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019
For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
All applicants shall be:
- a) non-Chinese citizens;
- b) in good physical and mental condition, with good academic performance and conduct;
- c) committedto the teaching and international promotion of the Chinese language;
- d) between the ages of 16and 35as of September 1st, 2019. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45, while undergraduate student applicants shall not be over 25.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Scholarship for Doctor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (DTCSOL)
The program commences in September 2019 and provides scholarship for a maximum four academic years. Applicants shall hold a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese as A Foreign Language, Linguistics, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages or education-related majors. Applicants shall have a minimum score of 200 on the HSK Test (Level 6), 60 on the HSKK test (Advanced Level) and more than 2 years’ work experience in Chinese language teaching and related fields.
- Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
The program commences in September 2019 and provides scholarship for a maximum of two academic years. Applicants shall hold a Bachelor’s degree, and have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution or relevant proof upon completing their studies in China.
- Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
The program commences in September 2019and provides scholarship for a maximum of four academic years. Applicants shall hold a high school diploma and a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
The program commences in September 2019, and provides scholarship for a maximum of 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
- Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
iii. Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (Level 3).
- E. Scholarship for One-Semester Study
The program commences either in September 2019 or March 2020, and provides scholarship of a maximum of 5 months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
- TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required
- Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
An HSK test score is required.
- F. Scholarship for Four-Week Study
The program commences either in July or December 2019, and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
An HSK test score is required.
- Chinese Language plus Home-Stay Experience in a Chinese Family
An HSK test score is required. The program is organized and applied for by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made in consultation with host institutions and such plan shall be submitted to Hanban for approval.
iii. Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes
An HSK test score is required. The program is organized and applied for by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group.
- Cooperative Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institutions
Hanban, in cooperation with some host institutions has established the “XX University Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study, Scholarship for MTCSOL and Scholarship for BTCSOL shall be enrolled by the relevant institutions according to the standards stipulated in this Guide. Scholarship for “Chinese + Vocational Training” shall be enrolled according to the standards announced by the relevant institutions in the Application System (the categories and enrollment slots of relevant institutions are listed in Appendix 3).
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2019 on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (cis.chinese.cn). Please log on to search for recommending institutions and host institutions; upload application materials online; and track the application progress, comments and result. Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out CIS certificate online, and register at host institutions on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
The application deadlines are
- a) April 20th(for programscommencing in July)
- b) May20th(for programs commencing in September)
- c) September 20th(for programscommencing in December)
- d) November20th(for programs commencing in March 2020)
Hanban will complete the scholarship review and publish the results three months before enrollment of the scholarship winners.
CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2019 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” shall log onto the scholarship website and submit documents to relevant host institutions upon presentation of their CIS certificates. For inquiry, please contact email@example.com.
RECOMMENDING INSTITUTIONS AND HOST INSTITUTIONS
Recommending institutions and host institutions shall, pursuant to the Guide, provide consulting, recommendation and enrollment services.
- a) Please contact host institutions for curriculumand course
- b)Applicants shall be familiar with the specific criteria and deadlinesfor registration, andsubmit necessary documents according to specific
- c) Degree students are subject tothe annual assessment according to theAnnual Appraisal Procedures of Confucius Institute Scholarship.
- d) Those who fail to register on time, fail to pass the health assessment, drop out midway and/or are suspendfrom schoolwill be deprived of their
Division of Test and Scholarships at Hanban
1 Confucius Institute Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
2 Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarship
3 Categories and Enrollment Slots of Cooperative Confucius Institute Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institutions in 2019
Confucius Institute Headquarters(Hanban)
Confucius Institute Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
- a) Tuition is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizingcultural and social activities, as well as organizingChinese language proficiency tests. Tuition fee does not cover the textbook expenses and tourist tickets.
- b) Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campusapartments (usually double rooms).Students may also live off-campusupon application and getting permission from the host institutions. Students who live off-campus are entitled to accommodation allowance of 1000 CNY per person/month for doctoral students and 700 CNY per person/month for other students paid on a monthly / quarterly basis from the host institutions.
- c) Living allowance is grantedby host institutions ona monthly basis. The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person. For DTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3500 CNY per person.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarship may be cancelled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by the host institutions, allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out or when the decision of such punishment is announced.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or expiration day of the study confirmed by host institutions.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. Insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for four-week study students, 400 CNY for one-semester students, and 800 CNY per year for students engaged in program longer than one academic year.
Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarship
- For all applicants
- a) aScanned copy of passport photo page
- b) ascanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity).
- c) areferenceletter by the head of the recommending institutions
- For degree scholarship program applicants
- a) acertification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript.
- b)applicants of the Scholarship for DTCSOL students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professorsor experts with equivalent professional and technical titles in relevant fields and a 3000-word personal statement in Chinese (including knowledge of the intended field of study and research proposal)
applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Priority will be given to Applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution or relevant proof upon completing their studies in China.
- Applicants currently workingas Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
- Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
- Applicants shall also provide additional documents required by the host institutions.
Categories and Enrollment Slots of Cooperative Confucius Institute Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institutions in 2019